Sunday, May 10, 2009

Community Service

As a requirement for one of my assignment for my social studies methods class, I completed four hours of community service.  My first choice was to volunteer at the Idaho Food Bank.  I would have liked to have done some work at the local cannery, but my schedule was never open when they were working there. 

So I went with my second choice—preparing hygiene and school kits for the Church’s Humanitarian Center.  The great thing about my project was that I was able to put together the kits in the comfort of my own home.  The hard thing about this service project was the expense.  I had to buy all of the materials for the kits and it turned out to be pretty spendy by the time I was done.  But, I feel good about how it all came together.  I took a few photos.

DSC_0023 Hygiene Kits  

DSC_0025

DSC_0026

School Kits

DSC_0027

The Finished Kits.  I put together eight school kits and six hygiene kits.  It doesn’t look like much, but I’m hoping that they might brighten up someone’s day.DSC_0028

For more info on where these kits go or how to put together your own, visit http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/

4 comments:

Jalene said...

you should have let me know, I have about 20 bags for the school kits. we put them together as a RS project. Good job!

Kt said...

wow. that is a big expense, but they look great and believe you me, it I didn't have toothpaste, your little gift would brighten my day immensely!!!!

The Coe's said...

GOOD JOB!
Hey, I just now read your comment on my blog... u were right on Isaac's but the middle one is Aubree and the last one is Dalton! :)

Krystal said...

good job! That's great that you did all that! Hey, I am working at Great Clips now, and we are having a $4.99 haircut sale, so you should come on over in the next three weeks before the price goes up! :)