This
weekend I went for a run with a friend in the mountains. It was
hard... really hard. I hadn't been running in a couple of months, and
it seemed like it was all up hill. But when she asked if I wanted to
go, I couldn't say no. It's
not often
that I get to run with someone, but because she is actually training for
a race, she was in much better shape than I was and was able to run at a
faster pace. After the first mile, I told her to go ahead and that I
would catch up with her on the way back. Well I actually told her that I
was done and that I'd meet her back at camp. But after she took off, I
just couldn't quit. I knew that if I did, I'd be letting myself down.
So I kept going. I went at a slower pace and I took A LOT of walk
breaks. I finally made it back to camp 1 hour and 5 1/2 miles later.
My friend ended up going just over 6 miles, so I felt really good about
what I was able to accomplish after weeks of not running. And while I'm
not sure I'm up to running 11 miles tonight like my friend, I am
looking forward to getting out there and just seeing how far I can go.
I'm glad that I had someone to get me out of my runner's slump. It's
true that the first steps are the hardest, but once we get them behind
us, there's no telling how far we can go!
No comments:
Post a Comment