Monday, September 27, 2010

15 Miles!

Michael and I have been trying to be more active now that our injuries are healed.  They are pretty much as good as they are going to get, anyway.  The tough part is that it has been over a year since we exercised on a regular basis, and getting back into the routine is KILLING us! (well, me at least)  One of the things that we have been wanting to do all summer but never found the time to do was take a good long bike ride on the greenbelt.  For those of you not familiar with the Boise region, the greenbelt is a path that runs along the Boise River (on both sides of the river in most sections).  The greenbelt has always been a special thing for us because when we first lived together, the greenbelt was right outside our apartment door!

Back in the day, we used to ride our bikes to the local subway, grab a  foot long veggie to split, then ride to one of the local ponds.  We’d go for a swim, eat dinner, and then we’d ride home.  So last week we decided we’d be nostalgic and recreate the fun! 

It was a nice ride on our new comfort bikes that we got at the beginning of this summer.  We got a foot long Subway BLT, then started pedaling at our old apartment complex.  We managed to make it all the way to Julia Davis park which is across from the Boise State campus.  We stopped for lunch and a rest, then boogied on back to the truck.  By the time it was all said and done, our trip meters counted a total of 15 miles!  No one was more shocked that I was! 

I guess it just goes to show what a good bike can do!  My old one was one that we bought at a pawn shop and didn’t really fit me.  Plus, it always hurt my back bending over to reach the handle bars.  My new bike is a cross between a mountain bike and a beach cruiser, so it has the handle bars that let you sit up and front/rear shocks!  Plus it’s yellow.  Gotta love it.

Anyway.  Michael and I are getting back into an aggressive exercise routine (ya know.. because my 15 lbs by Sept 1 didn’t happen…..  didn’t even get close).  If you are ever in the Boise Area and want to go for a ride, let us know!  The 15 mile round trip greenbelt ride is a beautiful one!

2 comments:

snappy said...

I would love to ride the greenbelt with you. I think you should post a picture of your beautiful bike. I am jealous. I want a yellow bike. I did a 8 mile with a baby in the bike trailer. She is such a good sport.

Lorinda said...

That sounds like an awesome ride! I agree with Snappy....I wanna see a picture of your bike.