Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hypochondria? I think not.

As a reward for being such a good girl and getting my blood drawn, I went to the mall and got my haircut.  Then I went to the bookstore in the hopes of finding a good read for our trip to Germany.  Instead, I ended up browsing the shelves of books with a friend and talking about all of the books that we had read, which ones we liked, and which ones we hated. 

I was in the poetry section when I got a call on my cell from my doctor’s office.  I was afraid that they were going to yell at me for waiting so long after my physical to get my blood drawn or to tell me that because of the wait, there was going to be issues with my insurance coverage.

Nope, they were calling me to tell me my test results.  Gadzooks!  I had just had it drawn four hours earlier.  I guess it pays to draw at the lab where they actually do the tests!  They don’t have to send it out, wait for the tests, then send the results back to the office.  They just do it all. 

Well, my lipid panel was great.  Good and bad cholesterols were at normal levels, liver and kidney functions were good with no infections, no anemia, and my triglycerides were normal also.  The only thing was my TSH levels were too low which meant that I have an underactive thyroid and that the doctor wanted to put me on meds.

TSH is the thyroid-stimulating hormone that basically controls your metabolism.  Other symptoms of Hypothyroidism include:

  • Being more sensitive to cold
  • Constipation   (X)
  • Depression   (X)
  • Fatigue or feeling slowed down   (X)
  • Heavier menstrual periods   (X)
  • Joint or muscle pain (X)
  • Paleness or dry skin
  • Thin, brittle hair or fingernails
  • Weakness   (X)
  • Weight gain (unintentional)   (X X X)

As you can see, I had myriad symptoms.  I felt achy all over like I was coming down with the flu for weeks at a time.  I was cranky, irritable, and likely to lash out at anyone standing too closely (My poor husband has been such a wonderful support.  Thank you, Honey, for not dumping me out on the street for the tuna vs. peanut butter conversation.  I would have totally understood if you had). 

The bad news is that I have to take a pill every morning, I can’t eat for 30 minutes after I take my pill, AND I have to have my blood retested  in 5 weeks to make sure my dosage is correct.  BLAH!  I would be more upset about the blood thing except that I found my own Miracle Max

My sister was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism five years ago at the age of 27.  I am 26 1/2.  Having many of the symptoms, being nearly the same age as she, and being really in-tune with my body, I figured something was up.  I wasn’t really caught off guard when the call came in.  Sometimes I feel a little guilty that I don’t feel bad, sad, upset about having this condition.  Even a week later, I am okay with it.  At least it’s not cancer or heart disease (my biggest fear) and it’s something that is very easily treatable. 

I am glad that it is not all in my head.  Sometimes I worry that when I don’t feel good, I am making it all up and the doctors are just going to tell me I’m fine and I will have to live with and battle the cranky mean person I’ve become.  That’s just not fun for anybody.  I am also glad that it helps explain why I have had trouble losing weight.  I have been taking my meds, working out, and watching what I eat.  Here are the NEW results:

July 26, 2010 – 138.0 lbs  FINALLY!  A week that didn’t start at 140!

July 27, 2010 – 137.8 lbs.  Now that’s progress!

 

The only other thing that I hate about this thyroid thing is that I feel like a bad cliché.  “No, I’m not lazy, I am fat because I have a thyroid problem.”  Oiy.

I used to think I was a hypochondriac until I realized that I ended up having everything I was afraid I had.  Double Oiy.

1 comment:

snappy said...

I am glad to hear that your medicine is working and your metabolism is getting back on track and your weight is going down! That makes me happy for you.