Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23, 2012

It’s been a while since I blogged, so I just thought that I would check in and let my few, yet dedicated readers know how things are going.
Today is Day Six of my juice fast.  I started on Wednesday, January 18th.  I was afraid that it would be boring, tiresome, and that I would pretty much hate my life, at least for the first three days.  Turns out it’s not as bad as I thought it was going to be. 
After watching the documentary, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, I found myself contemplating whether this sort of diet could work for me.  I am not one to go out and try all the different diet pills, appetite suppressors, or weight loss/exercise machines.  But I had been stuck at 140-141 lbs. for so long that I wondered if anything could do the trick to help get the weight off.  And heck, I already had a juicer.
*Disclaimer.  I know that I am not “Fat”.  I know that I am in a healthy weight range for my height.  But I also know that I could be better.  I can be healthier.  I can feel better… healthier. 
So I decided to give it a try.  A few nights before, I went to their websites, www.fatsickandnearlydead.com and www.jointhereboot.com .  I discovered that they have a few different programs to choose from, each one varying in length and intensity.  I also found that the programs would allow me to actually EAT fruits and vegetables, not just juice them.  The website said that I need a week to prepare.  that I was going to have to get my body used to the idea of not having everything that it wanted.  In preparation mode, I would need to drink more water, cut out processed and junk foods, and no more soda.  I had most of this already done thanks to the strict organic diet I was already on.  So… I decided not to wait out the ‘prep week’ and started the very next day. 
The only bad thing is—there aren’t very many recipes out there that sound very good.  The great thing is that if you don’t like a particular fruit or vegetable that a recipe calls for, you can substitute something else that you do like, or skip it all together.  It’s all going to be one thick juice anyway.  Most of the things I have made haven’t been too disgusting… except that one I made the other day…… Broccoli, ginger root, and garlic are things to avoid for sure!  Oh, and I have pretty much come to the conclusion that unless it is smothered in something like peanut butter or ranch dressing, celery is the devils vegetable.  No matter how much I try to cover up the taste of the celery with something else, I always end up with a celery aftertaste.  Yuck.
All in all, it’s working out really well.  I juice in the morning, meet Michael for lunch and have a spinach salad covered in peas, mushrooms, red kidney beans, artichoke hearts, cauliflower, and oil & vinegar, and then juice again at night.  In between times I have a tasty treat of almonds and I drink a ton of water.
The results speak for themselves too.

Monday January 23, 2012

Weight:  137.0

I am so excited that I have FINALLY made it lower that 140 lbs.!
(Confession:  I was done to 137 on Friday, but I was just so sick of fruits and veggies and I needed a cheat day… so we ordered in a pizza and I had four slices!  It was just the best treat ever after not having real food in days.  I only went back up to 139, and it took me a couple of days to get back down, but it was totally worth every bite.)
Again, I am lower than 140 lbs.!  Not only that, but I can already tell a difference in my appearance.  My face is still roundish, but no longer ‘chubby’ looking.  The love handles above my hips are starting to recede, and both my watch and ring are no longer cutting off my circulation (My biggest fear was that I was going to get so big that I would have to stop wearing my wedding ring.  There were days were I couldn’t have taken my ring off if I had wanted too… I was just that bloated.  Ugh.  Makes me sick to even write that out).  Even my arms, wrists, elbows look slimmer to me,  and I can start to see my hip bones again.
So, my next challenge becomes… How long do I do this juice thing?  I have pretty much decided that I don’t want to do it for the full 30 or 60 days that the two gentlemen did in the documentary, but I am unsure of how long this will be appropriate for me.  In talking with my husband, I have decided that I should continue to juice/eat fruits and veggies for as long as it takes for me to get down to my goal weight of 125 lbs.  Most of the programs on the website suggest that you continue on the juice diet from anywhere from five days, to a week and a half, to two weeks.  I am on day 6 with 12 lbs. to go.  If I continue to lose a pound a day (without any more disastrously glorious cheat days) , I should be there in another 10 days.  Right on schedule.
Oh, and just so that you know, I did see my physician before starting this thing and he gave me the thumbs up.  It’s a good thing to talk to your doctors in the know, especially when you have any kind of medical condition (thyroid issues in my case).
I hope you are having as much success as I am.  Keep up the hard weight loss work!

1 comment:

Lorinda said...

Great job with the juice diet! Sounds like it is going great, and that you are being smart about it. I'm sticking with counting calories and exercising for now, but, man, some days are hard!