On Thursday I met with the neurologist and he ran some tests on my nerves. He made my arms and legs dance involuntarily by hitting my elbows, wrists, knees, and ankles with one of those classic rubber mallet.
If that wasn't enough fun, he then proceeded to shock me up and down both of my arms with a cattle prod looking device. Fortunately, He was a very good doctor and I appreciated his light, upbeat bedside manner and they way he could spin a scary situation into a comical one. After the electroshock therapy, oops I mean conductive nerve study was complete, he asked if I wanted one or two more, just for fun I respectfully declined.
By the end of our visit, he told me that the study showed I did not have carpal or cubital tunnel. He admitted that the presentation of my symptoms was strange because I have numbness in both my hands and feet and on both sides of my body. In this case, he suggested more blood work, to rule out everything else like Lymes disease.
He told me that when it comes to nerve problems, it's kind of like a "who done it" situation where you start with the big scary stuff and eliminate them one by one. So next up are two MRI's-- one in my head and one in my neck. We are going to try to rule out multiple sclerosis. Everything that I have read about MS so far does not sound like the symptoms I am having, but it will be good peace of mind to know for sure, especially since I do have an Uncle that has it.
What I am most afraid of is that they will find something bigger and scarier than MS, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that news.
No comments:
Post a Comment