Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Little Things

It's funny how the most random things can bring back forgotten memories. Today I saw a Norco truck full of 'nonflammable gases'. In that moment I was instantly transported to a time in my youth. I remembered all the times a big yellow truck would come to my house and deliver oxygen tanks. I recalled how my brother once signed a sheet of carbon on the side of the truck and it left his signature on the yellow background. Everytime I saw one of those trucks afterthat, I wondered if that was the truck with his name on it. But the most important thing I remembered was my mom and how strong she had to be at theat time in her life even though she was so sick. She had to be. She had seven kids to think about. I still think about her from time to time. Sometimes it surprises me how many of the little things in my daily life make me think of her, even fourteen years after her death.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember that! You're absolutely right. Maybe those things are placed in our way to help us know she's with us more than we realize.

snappy said...

Everytime I see someone with an oxygen cannulas I also think of her. She wanted to go camping so bad that she had Dad take the video camera with him to the family reunion. She must have been so lonely when we were gone. Maybe she wasn't, I hope she enjoyed those peaceful day while we were in the woods. We still have that great video of us sliding down those rock waterfalls.

snappy said...

She couldn't go camping because the altitude was too high and she wouldn't have enough oxygen to breath.