Thursday, April 10, 2008

My little Sasha-Bear

My sisters know me too well (I guess that's why they are my sisters). Our little girl is a new puppy. While some people may think that this may not be as much as a commitment as a human baby, anyone who knows M and I know that this is a huge step for us!

When M and I were thinking about getting a new pet, we thought that it would be a good idea to get a hunting dog. We had it narrowed down to a few breeds: Labs, Brittanys, and German Shorthaired Pointers. Then M ran across a breed while surfing the web, a breed I'd never heard of. Vizsla's are hunting dogs that come from Hungary and they are the best of the best when it comes to hunting dogs. They retrieve like Labs, flush birds like Brittanys, and point like German Shorthairs. Plus, they have short-haired coats so they don't shed and webbed toes so they can swim! We started looking for Vizslas, but the closest ones we could find were in Michigan or somewhere rediculous, and it would have been extremely expensive to have the puppy shipped to us. M just happened to look in the classifieds at work one day and noticed an ad for Vizsla puppies! Imagine our suprise because this is not a common breed. Turns out that the man with the puppies for sale lived just down the street! Talk about fate!!! We went over to look at the pups. They had four males and two females. My heart melted when I saw the larger of the two females. She was calm, lovable, and wanted to be held. We put down a deposit and arranged to pick her up when we got back from our trip.

We've had her for just over a week. I never could have imagined how she would change my life. Even though she's not a 'human' baby, she is very dear to my heart. I love to just hold her when she's sleeping and listen to her whine while she's dreaming. Having a new addition to the family has it's challenges. Potty training has been a real adventure! We've even had our first trip to the doctor, yikes! (poor little thing had a urinary infection). Even with all the ups and downs, she's filled my life with such joy.

People have asked me if M and I will ever have children. The answer is no. It is tough for me because I've grown up in a culture that stresses the importance of motherhood and raising children. While I acknowledge this noble endeavor, it is not something that will be a part of my life. I don't really know how to tell people the reason why M and I won't be having kids. The bottom line is, M and I decided that it would be better for us not to have any children. That's it.

That's why I'm extra grateful that M and I were able to have Sasha join our family. She is my baby girl and I'm glad to have her in my life.

Sasha's first night in her new home was a little scary, but she found comfort in M's lap and enjoyed a little TV.

This little girl needs her down time.


Pretty in Pink. M bought her a bright pink collar. There are no questions about whether she's a boy or a girl!

4 comments:

Krystal said...

She is so adorable Jill!! Very clever post-putting it so everyone thought it was a human baby! :) She is absolutely precious! I love the no shedding part too! I want one! (although I think a new puppy, a 6mo. old, and a 3 yr. are a little too much for me to handle)! You should still do a book about Sasha! She is part of the family! :)

Lindsey said...

So cute! I just checked out the Encyclopedia of Dogs at the library and read about Vizlas. ha, what a nerd. Logan and I want a dog so so bad. I'm just a tad bit jealous. I seriously thought you were adopting a girl from Russia! But puppies are just as much work as babies sometimes!

snappy said...

Yeah, finally some pictures. She is darling!

Kt said...

She is SO cute! I guess I imagnined her with longer hair. I don't think I've ever heard of this breed, so I think it's totally cool. I hope you've enjoyed your outings!