Do something that scares you.
I read the words on the blog once, twice… they seemed to call out to me every time I did so.
It’s funny beacause it wasn’t the first time I’d heard this message. As a close friend and I tried to figure out what the heck we were going to do with our lives, my friend turned me onto a blog called Stratejoy. The big umbrella idea behind Stratejoy is that many women find themselves in a QLC – Quarter Life Crisis. I know, I almost laughed at the absurdity of the idea myself, but I pressed on.
These women found themselves unhappy with their lives, stuck in jobs/roles/relationships they weren’t happy with but didn’t know how to change their circumstances. Some because they lacked the confidence to do so, others because they felt guilty because it would mean they were doing something for themselves. Many believed they didn’t deserve something better than what they had.
Through the group dynamic they had learned to identify the changes they wanted to make in their lives, plan the steps toward the desired outcome, and find the courage/self esteem to go for it. Through the writings of the guest bloggers, I followed the journeys of women who learned that they were good enough for the job, hobbies, lifestyles they wanted. I watched them tell their inner-critics to “put a sock in it.'” they were able to conquer their fears and put themselves out there, knowing that who they were was enough. After several months of reading the same message over and over again, there it was staring me in the face.
Do something that scares you.
I desperately needed a change. I needed something to fill my day and make me feel useful. I needed my life to matter.
It wasn’t easy. I was still scared. What if I applied for a job and it backfired on me? What if they didn’t like me and told me “No.” For me, there is a lot of fear bundled up in those two little letters..
Do something that scares you.
I was surprised at how that one little phrase would change my life for the better.
No comments:
Post a Comment