I had two packages to mail today; I was sending one package to my sister for her birthday and the other was our tax paperwork to our accountant in California. The post office on 5 mile road is notorious for its long lines. They even have a long counter down the middle of the waiting area where postal customers can have a moments reprieve from the weight of their packages while they wait.
When I got there, there were about a dozen people in line in front of me. No problem. A while ago I started carrying a novel in my purse for just such an occasion. This week’s selection: Seabiscuit: An American Legend. As soon as I opened it’s cover and found the place where I had left off, I could feel every eye turning and staring at me. Seriously, it was like these people had never seen a person reading a book before.
I know that a lot of things have changed since I was a kid. Technology has changed in leaps and bounds. Now a days there are laptops that can surf the internet at the touch of a button. People can even access it on their cell phones (and everyone has a cell phone—even eight year olds). From the so accessible internet, it is possible to read online or download whole novels. One can even purchase electronic versions of a book to be read on kindles, e-readers, and now there is even the iPad. But never in my wildest dreams did I think that there would come the day when books were an oddity. I thought that nothing could replace the printed word.
Now, I’m not what one would call an ‘avid’ reader. I do read. I read a lot, actually. But I don’t have to read every book I can get my hands on. I can afford to be choosy. But I love books themselves. They each seem to have their own personality. It’s as if each characteristic of it’s outward appearance is a hint of the story that lies just inside the cover.
I love that each book feels differently in my hands. The covers can be smooth, or rough, flashy or even plain. I love the feel of the paper; the texture begging me to turn the pages. Their sturdy spines hold a book together. While a new book’s spine is smooth and flat, an older book’s has creases and has developed a concave shape from being read over and over again. But most of all, I love the smell of books. New books smell fresh; a temptation of the new adventures that await. Old books smell—Heavenly. There’s no other word for it. It’s like a grandparent who has waited for you to come and visit. They invite you to read the story you probably know by heart. It’s the story from a time not so long ago, though it may seem like ages from this hectic electronic world.
I suppose that this could be one of the reasons I could never read any college assignment online. If a professor posted a reading assignment on the internet, I always had to print it out to read it. I know that it’s not very green of me, but the glow of a computer screen could never compete with the look and feel of the printed word.
No, for me, nothing can replace a book.
2 comments:
I am so with you on this one. There is nothing like a good book in hand. I could never stand to read them electronically!
MMMM.... OLD BOOK SMELL!
Now back to my thought... I think people need to get their head out of the electric world for a few hours and relearn to read the written word. Nothing is Better than a good book and a cup of hot coco, snuggled up in bed and reading late..
Thank you for posting this... It's exactly how I feel...
Post a Comment