Okay, I know. I’ve been slacking. Really slacking. So here’s a really long update of my non-existent progress from the last month.
Graduation
was amazing. It was one of those things. One of those times when you are sitting in your chair thinking, “Can this really be happening to me?” I was so nervous, anxious, excited that I had to consciously tell my hands not to rip my program apart (only because I wanted one as a souvenir). I must have had the biggest, dumbest grin on my face because I was so unbelievably happy that I had finally made it!! Okay, it was probably really because I was in disbelief the entire time. Little ol’ slacker me had finally reached the only goal I have ever set for myself—College Graduation. HOLY COW!!
The best part? (I mean, besides obtaining freedom from undergraduate status and finally feeling like a real grown up)… Having my name read by a local celebrity. I wanted to post a picture of him, but couldn’t find one. Anyhow, he is a player for the Idaho Shakespeare Festival here in Boise. Michael and I attend it religiously ever summer. He’s one of my favorites. And YES, he was the one that read my name at the ceremony! How cool is that?
Note to self: upload video of Graduation
Christmas 2009
This Christmas was spent with Nathan, Melinda and Hadley. We had a great time. We recently bought a Pack n Play, so we had a place for Hadley to sleep.
FYI: If you are family or friend, we have a pack and play now so if you have little ones and you need a place to stay, we have a place for your little one to crash.
I was nervous that Hadley wouldn’t do very well considering that she’s never stayed the night at Grandpa’s house before. She did really well. Melinda turned on some classical music and she went right to sleep.
Christmas tradition dictates that we get new pajamas on Christmas Eve. Hadley looked so cute in her new brown and pink circle jammies. Michael’s only complaint was that the legs of his bottoms were too long. I don’t get it. I think stepping on the heels of your pajama bottoms makes them more comfortable. How about you? Do you have any thoughts on that issue??
Hadley is making her selection from the mountain of gifts:![]()
I needed a butter knife to open a box. Hadley decided that she needed it to open the rest of the presents. It was just too funny.
We really enjoyed having the family over this year and spoiling everyone. Michael’s big gift this year was a new Red/Black Northface Coat. My big gift was a portable DVD player. It came in really handy on our trip to the Dominican Republic.
Trip to the Dominican Republic
Michael works at HP. Every year, HP has a mandatory closure for two weeks over Christmas. We are not winter people and we hate to sit around doing nothing for two whole weeks. So, we have tried to go to warmer places and thaw out. Last year we went down to California and visited Michael’s Dad, best friend (and his new girlfriend and her two girls), and saw the sights. California has always been one of my favorite places to visit. This year we went someplace a lot warmer… The Dominican Republic.
Our resort was an all inclusive, which means that once you get there, everything is paid for. You never have to think twice about meal costs. Not thinking about money makes it so much easier to let go and relax completely. We never left the resort, so we don’t have very many pictures to share this time (you can only take so many pictures of the dining room, swimming pool, and beach), but believe me when I say that we had a great time playing pool volleyball, Ladder golf and Bocce ball. I met a lot of neat people from all over the world. By the way, I am thinking about becoming Canadian just so I can get a direct flight! (it took us 22 hours to get from Boise, to the DR). Our trip took place just 2 weeks before the big earthquake hit Haiti. For those of you who are geographically challenged, the DR and Haiti share the same island. We sent an email to the resort as soon as we heard the news about the quake. Much to our relief they replied that all was well; it just rattled a few dishes.
I wanted to post some pictures of our trip, but alas, they are not on my computer. I’ll have to fix that.
We got back to work as soon as we got back to the states. The very next day I was in the school subbing for Mrs. Bond. She had spent Christmas break in Arizona and got tickets to the Fiesta Bowl. I had a nice three days that week in the classroom that was my home for half of my internship an my student teaching. I missed those kids and thoroughly enjoyed spending my time with them.
Let’s see… what else has happened lately?
I had my 26th birthday. It feels kind of weird. I keep wanting to tell people that I am 27, although I feel younger than I did on my last birthday. We celebrated by going to out to Five Guys Burgers and Fries and then out to the movies for Sherlock Holmes. A week later, we had a combined birthday party with a friend of ours, Frank, whose birthday is five days after mine. It was great to have so many of our friends there to celebrate with us.
Nathan was sworn into the Navy and we were able to go and see it happen. I had never been to one of those before and it was quite an experience. It was a lot of waiting and paperwork. The actual swearing part took only a minute or so. it was the beginning of a new adventure.
Unfortunately, we found out only a few days ago that Nate has torn his Achilles tendon and will not be able to complete basic training, therefore he will not be able to obtain a career in the Navy, at this point . He will return home after the rest of his class completes basic and receives their commissions. We are saddened by this news, but are hopeful for the next adventure to come their way.
The Job Search
is on but there really aren’t any teaching jobs out there just yet. Even though the state of Idaho has announced cut backs in education, I am still hopeful. This area continues to grow and most schools are already at capacity. Everyday I check the school district websites for new job postings. Nothing has popped up, but a lot of school districts start posting in March.
In the mean time, I am putting together a professional portfolio and brushing up on my interview answers. I am really looking forward to having a classroom of my own. Being able to contribute to my marriage financially will also be a big step for me.
So, I hate making long massive posts like this. My goal is to write more often. I am hoping for an every other day basis (at least) but we’ll see how it goes.
Look forward to my post about my new hobby (because that topic deserves a post all to itself).
2 comments:
Sounds like even though you are done with school you are still keeping busy. Can't wait to hear about your new hobby!
Come visit me! We could make a ton of memories!( Oh, yeah, your looking for a job)
Post a Comment