Last night was spent going over all of our tax documents. Because of the accident, our medical portion of our taxes was astronomical. Thank goodness Michael was there to help me out because I would have been lost.
In going through the paperwork, we discovered that there were some loose ends that needed tying. The hospital was/is still trying to charge me money for the night spent in the emergency room. Fortunately, we have a ER copay of $100 and everything past that is either covered by insurance or is written off as a part of the hospital’s contracted rate with the Insurance Co. They were trying to say that I am responsible for the amount that should be their contracted write-off. I don’t think so!
Apparently, the Orthopedic Surgeon’s office is trying to do the same thing (which is really a shame because I really like the guy). A call to the insurance company was in order.
The gal that I was talking to was really amazing. She put me on call and called both the hospital and told them what was up. Then she got back on the line with me to tell me with whom she had spoken to, and that they had worked everything out and that I should not be receiving any more bills from them. HOORAY! (I love it when companies have such great customer service.) The gal tried to get a hold of the Dr.’s office as well, but had no such luck. She is going to try again tomorrow and then call me a let me know what’s going on.
Michael and I have had United Healthcare ever since we have been together (and Michael has had it longer than that). I have had so many procedures, office visits, etc. over the last 4 years. Of course, no medical procedure/office visit that results in a claim to the insurance company can ever go right. Somewhere between the Dr.’s billing office and the claim reviewer’s computer, something goes awry. I always end up calling and complaining, telling them how, when, and where they screwed up. If they were thinking (hoping) that I would be one of those customers that just pays whatever bills they get in the mail, they have another think coming. Seriously, I have dealt with them so much that I know exactly what I should be paying and when they are pushing their luck. Generally speaking, the reps at UHC are great. They usually apologize and let me know how they are going to fix it and the next things I should expect (and if they don’t, I get a supervisor who will). They are like family.
The sad part is that I am leaving that family. Michael and I have changed insurance this year to Blue Cross/Blue Shield of California. (I know, right? How messed up is that?) While I still get to call my buddies at UHC to tie up all the loose ends from our accident last summer, it won’t be too long before I won’t ever have (get) to call them at all.
It makes me kind of sad.
The good news is that we have a lot of friends who are already using BC/BS and they have all good things to say about it. In fact, one report says that after the accident, one phone call was all it took. They said that they would match up all the bills and claims associated with the accident and coordinate with the liability insurance. How cool is that??
So begins a new relationship. Of course my first step was logging on to BC/BS website and making sure my GYN was a preferred provider. Do you know how hard it is to find a good one of those? Here’s a hint: try having chronic appendicitis for 2 years and having every GYN tell you that you’re nuts and their is nothing she can do for you. When she didn’t give up on me, I knew she was a keeper. And yes, she is a preferred provider.
My second step is finding a Primary Care Physician. Oooo, lucky me.
1 comment:
You should try the guys down at St. Luke's Family Health in Meridian (Cloverdale/McMillian). We have been going there since we moved to the area. We can usually get same day appointments, and the wait is never long. We see Dr. Cron, but my husband has seen Dr. Bateman for things Cron doesn't do. I have seen Cron & the Nurse Practitioner (cause she's female :)
Post a Comment