Note to the Reader: I am about to use the terms “talent” and “hobby” interchangeably. I realize that in the normal world these are two separate thoughts. Not so in the world of this real-life mermaid. I figure that if you have a talent (say, drawing), then you will spend a lot of time drawing because you enjoy it (thus becoming your hobby). And chances are you enjoy it because you’re good at it. Because face it—> No one spends large amounts of their free time doing something that they loathe, unless it’s work or something else obligatory.
Anyway, let the blogging continue:
Growing up I have always had feelings of non-talentedness (and no it’s not a word, I made it up. I even have the little spell checker squiggles underneath it telling me that I’m an idiot). I have never felt like I’ve had much of a talent for anything. Yes, I can play the piano, but not well. I played the clarinet in grade, middle, and high school, but not any better than anyone else. I can’t draw, I can’t sing, and I’m not blessed athletically. I am not funny, I am socially awkward, and I don’t really know how to cheer people up when they are down. I don’t even have the gift of being able to speak more than one language.
So lately (in my post-graduate unemployed-ness) I have tried to get started in a lot of things, trying to finding the hobby that really fits me. I’ve tried Scrapbooking, Quilting, Blogging (ha, we all know how consistent I am with that one!), fishing (although I like fishing, it’s not my calling), and even jogging (well, I tried it out for 1 week and I discovered that I really hate to run). None of these things has really been able to hold my attention for very long.
Currently I have two loves other than Michael and Sasha: photography and scuba diving. I find that I have to have a purpose for me to go out and photograph things. And Scuba diving? Well, I don’t get to do a whole lot of that here in Idaho (I should really hang out with Nate and Melinda more; they try to go as much as they can, where ever they can!)
I had always heard that EVERYONE has at least one talent, but I was beginning to believe I’d missed out on the talent buffet during the creation.
And then I found it.
I knew it was my talent. I haven’t taken any classes or formal training, and yet I am really good at it. I guess you could say that I’m a natural. I love the rush and the way that it makes me feel when I do well. I don’t want to give it away just yet. I just want it to soak in a bit first.
It only took me 26 years to find it.
I’m savoring the moment.
3 comments:
I'm very intrigued now. Can't wait until you're done savoring to hear more about it!
I think you have an amazing writing talent. Post more often and let us all enjoy it~!
And I think that you always make me feel better!!!
Post a Comment